Monday, October 21, 2013

Joy or Void?

All of mankind is born with a hole in himself. As we grow and experience the world, each of us choose what we will fill that chasm with. The Pharisees of Bible times filled this hole with ceremony, religious practices, knowledge of law, and good appearances. Regardless of their performances, they had no place for Jesus and were joyless, unsatisfied, and incomplete. Jesus told them,

"I know that ye are Abraham's seed; but ye seek to kill me, because My word hath no place in you." John 8:37

The Pharisees had a good heritage --with priceless covenants-- but no joy in life. No Jesus.

\

What fills the void in your life? Full schedule? Cares of this world? Entertainment and food? Politics or sports? Spouse hunting? Working towards the dream house, career, or car? While these are all things we can enjoy or participate in, are they worth taking the place of Christ, our eternal glory? Read this familiar hymn closely. (Whenever you see the word world or earth, replace it with my life.)

Joy to the my life! the Lord is come;
Let my life receive her King;
Let every heart prepare him room,
And heaven and nature sing.
Joy to my life! the Saviour reigns;
Let men their songs employ;
While fields and floods, rocks, hills, and plains
Repeat the sounding joy.
No more let sins and sorrows grow,
Nor thorns infest the ground;
He comes to make His blessings flow
Far as the curse is found.
He rules my life with truth and grace,
And makes my life prove
The glories of His righteousness,
And wonders of His love.

Does He really rule your life with truth and grace? And make your life prove the glories of His righteousness and wonders of His love?

"If I do not remember Thee, let my tongue cleave to the roof of my mouth; if I prefer not Jerusalem above my chief joy." Psalm 137:6

True joy in the human heart is only possible if there is a place for Christ in it. The more room we prepare for Christ, the more joyful we will be! God created this hole in mankind that we might see our need that only His Son can fill.

No comments:

Post a Comment