Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Conquering the Earth: Not Your Job

Have you ever come to the point when you feel like you are not doing enough? Life is busy, you are surrendered to God, but you wonder, "Am I really fulfilling God's will for me?". While the Bible commands us to be faithful stewards and endure hardness, we must see that life is about magnifying what God did/does, not get as much work done as we can.

John chapter 9 accounts the history of a man who was blind from birth. He become an object of judgment: was it his parents' sin that resulted in his blindness or his own? Jesus not only opened this man's eyes, but our own also to understand that guilt was not the cause. God allowed him to be unable to see from birth that God's works might be recognized. "Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him, (John 9:3)." During the years of sitting on the roadside, perhaps that man wondered, "Am I worth living? Do I accomplish enough?". Although the man could do little in his years of blindness, he was accomplishing God's will for him. God's power is demonstrated through weakness. While this is never an excuse for sin or halfheartedness, know that as God's children we are required to do justly, love mercy, and walk humbly --not conquer the world. God's will for your life will probably be monotonous at times, or seem unimportant. That's OK. This is why we should walk humbly.
James is a toddler. He does not a have a job, manage a bank account, or drive Daddy's truck. That is Dad's business. Although little James does not control those things, he does benefit from them. He is fed, has health insurance, and is sheltered and cared for. In the same way, we as children of God should not try to manage God's care of us, but trust it. Others should see that we benefit from our relationship with God, not take over God's role. "These things I have spoken unto you, that in Me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world, (John 16:33)."  God does not expect us to overcome the world-- Jesus already did.


Jesus, I am resting, resting
In the joy of what Thou art;
I am finding out the greatness
Of Thy loving heart.
Thou hast bid me gaze upon Thee,
And Thy beauty fills my soul,
For, by Thy transforming power,
Thou hast made me whole.

Simply trusting Thee, Lord Jesus,
I behold Thee as Thou art,
And Thy love, so pure, so changeless,
Satisfies my heart,
Satisfies its deepest longings,
Meets, supplies its every need,
Compasseth me round with blessings,
Thine is love indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment